Re: NCT's in Concours

Hold on here,
The original NCT tires are over 20 years old! I don't know when Good
Year stopped manufacturing the NCT's but come on now....20 years old.
Tires have a life expectancy...and these are WAY past the expectancy!
How do other concourse judges judge other cars when it comes to this?
Especially cars that are more than 20 years old. I know that when it
comes to tires, judges usually look to see if they are the closeest
match to originals. One example would be the Whitewall tires...as
long as the person didn't replace their tires with a modern black
wall tire and replaced it with a reproduction whitewall that they
would qualify. I feel that if the person has the SAME tire size as
the NCT's and not any larger or smaller should be qulified. I agree
that if you want concourse cars you should have everything original
as is or if something needs to be replaced/repaired it should be with
original NOS parts. Shouldn't there be a change in the guidlines as a
part becomes unavailable such as the NCT tires?

I for one would not own a concourse car...the Delorean I own won't be
a daily driver or a concourse car...but a car I can take out every
weekend for a joy ride...something to enjoy and be proud of to show
off in public....ESPECIALLY since I am restoring this car from the
chassis on up!

Everyone has their own opinion on this and this does come up from
time to time but try to explain to someone who is forced to replace
their NCT whether from a blow out (again they are 20 years old) or
dry rot or even from side wall damage that can't be repaired and they
have a concorse car! I can understand taking points off a car if it
had any of it's original parts replaced with some aftermarket one.
One example would be the alternator...after all it can be rebuilt to
keep it original but tires cannot be rebuilt, maybe rethreaded but
that would not look good at all.

Steve
VIN #3365

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Knut Grimsrud" <knut.s.grimsrud@xxxx>
wrote:
> James brings up a good question regarding competition judging
standards.
> There does not seem to be clear guidelines on this, so it's a bit
open to
> interpretation. The following are my personal views on this
(probably does
> not reflect others' views).
>
> There are 4 points for tires in the DMC judging manual. In my view
a score
> of 4 requires original NCT's in as-new condition (no noticeable
wear)
> properly cleaned and prepared for show. A score of 0 would be
warranted for
> non-original tires, with noticeable wear, and not completely
cleaned for
> show.
>
> The elements for this item consist of
> 1) Correct tires on car
> 2) Condition of the tires
> 3) Preparation of the tires for show
>
> My inclination would be to award the 4 points according to these
three
> categories as 2 points for correct tires, 1 point for wear, and 1
point for
> preparation. My feelings for this weighting is due to the degree of
> difficulty involved in getting good condition correct tires versus
the
> difficulty of preparing them, etc. Thus, assuming the tires were all
> prepared properly for show, a worn set of NCT's would rate a score
of
> approximately 3, while a new set of Yokahamas would rate about 2.
Note, that
> worn tires are also much more difficult to get to look nice, so
would be
> more susceptible to deduction for good dressing/preparation. Worn
NCT's
> might therefore in practice get scores closer to 2.5 even if
prepared well
> for show.
>
> These are just my own thoughts on this -- as most folks already
know, I'm
> pretty picky about finding things to deduct for in these
competitions