Re: NCT's in Concours

James brings up a good question regarding competition judging standards.
There does not seem to be clear guidelines on this, so it's a bit open to
interpretation. The following are my personal views on this (probably does
not reflect others' views).

There are 4 points for tires in the DMC judging manual. In my view a score
of 4 requires original NCT's in as-new condition (no noticeable wear)
properly cleaned and prepared for show. A score of 0 would be warranted for
non-original tires, with noticeable wear, and not completely cleaned for
show.

The elements for this item consist of
1) Correct tires on car
2) Condition of the tires
3) Preparation of the tires for show

My inclination would be to award the 4 points according to these three
categories as 2 points for correct tires, 1 point for wear, and 1 point for
preparation. My feelings for this weighting is due to the degree of
difficulty involved in getting good condition correct tires versus the
difficulty of preparing them, etc. Thus, assuming the tires were all
prepared properly for show, a worn set of NCT's would rate a score of
approximately 3, while a new set of Yokahamas would rate about 2. Note, that
worn tires are also much more difficult to get to look nice, so would be
more susceptible to deduction for good dressing/preparation. Worn NCT's
might therefore in practice get scores closer to 2.5 even if prepared well
for show.

These are just my own thoughts on this -- as most folks already know, I'm
pretty picky about finding things to deduct for in these competitions
(otherwise all the cars would end up with the same score). James is the
master at this and I trust his judgement and guidelines on judging
standards.

Knut