Re: [DML] NCT's in Concours

I think this is an important area of any concours event. Tires are one of
the items that certainly fall into the "safety item" category. In a lot of
concours competitions, items that are replaced due to safety concerns are not
deducted for in judging. As long as the replacement part meets original
specifications. Of course in this case this would mean replacing the tires
with original sizes and specifications such as no white lettering and so
forth. I think the correct Yokohama match is perfect or any other that meets
the original size front and back. I don't think any tire manufacturer would
tell you its safe to drive on twenty year old tires. No matter what the
tread life they have left. Yes, I know some original NCT's still look new
and the rubber is not cracked or worn. However tires do break down over
time. I think a DeLorean Concours should look at safety items very closely.
In my case for example I want my car to be as original or concours as
possible. However when it comes to safety items I want to upgrade or replace
where necessary to ensure the car is safe and if I want to drive from NJ to
Cleveland for example I have no reservations about the car performing well
without any unforeseen problems. On my car for example I have upgraded items
that I believe we have learned over time are prone to problems. I have added
a lockzilla, fanzilla, metal coolant bottle, and new Yokos to name a few.
Also new window regulators and taillight circuit boards. My car was in like
new condition when I bought it. In fact of all the items I mentioned that I
replaced, I hadn't experienced problems with any of them before replacing
them. However after studying the DML and researching the car as we all have,
I learned the potential problems that might, and in fact, would likely occur.
I wanted the car to as reliable as possible mechanically. However I want it
to be stock as possible as well. I wouldn't change anything cosmetically on
the car but that's my own preference and we each have our own taste. My
NCT's had only 7000 miles on them when I took them off. The tread looked
like new and they had no signs of dry rot or cracking. In fact they looked
new. I have them stored in my garage. The ride was slightly harder but that
is expected with a 20 year old tire as opposed to a new set. In any event I
think items replaced for safety mechanically, which do not change the car
cosmetically, should be allowed. I like the idea of being able to bring the
original part to show you only changed the part for safety. An example would
be to put on a metal coolant bottle but have the original with you for
concours competition. Tires of course are different and should be excluded
as long as they match original specs. No one should be expected to haul a
set of original tired to a show. I would like to see an addendum to the
concours handbook listing safety items that most, if not all members of the
DeLorean community, would agree should be replaced or upgraded due to the
fact that over time they have proven to be unsafe or unreliable. Just a few
items to give an example in my opinion are: fan relay, lock module, coolant
bottle. Also items such as tires that wear or break down over time. My two
cents.

Gary Gore
Activities Director
DeLorean Mid Atlantic
VIN 3360

In a message dated 12/30/00 8:41:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,