Re: Gas Lines From Fuel Pump

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Scot Stern" <SGSKBM@xxxx> wrote:
> My original gas lines were leaking. . . .
>
> Anyway, I replaced the line with ones that I bought at Auto Zone
and
>The presure cannot be that great in the system. . .

Au contraire!! The pressure is VERY high in the system - 80 PSI on
the high side according to the DMC tech manual. The fuel pump
pressure is used to open the injectors in this mechanical system. It
takes about 50 PSI to "pop" the injector open. The return line
pressure is lower, maybe 45 PSI. In fact the spec for pressure 10
minutes after shutoff is still 25 psi (accumulator test!).

The original hoses are teflon hose, covered with a nylon braid (like
the stainless braid on your clutch line) and then a rubber outer
cover. This is designed as high-pressure, fuel-tolerant hose. Modern
injected cars with electronic injection systems do not use such high
pressure since the injectors are opened electronically rather than by
pressure.

There are "generic" (for example Aeroquip-brand) equivalents for this
hose, but however you buy it, it is not cheap hose. If you just
bought regular gas line like you'd put on a carbureted Ford, it is
designed to take maybe 10 PSI. If you get it from the DMC places it
will be the right stuff.

Dave Swingle