Re: Roof leaking

Where exactly is the water leaking in from? Is the headliner itself
wet and water is dripping from from the fabric? Or is water dripping
from between the headliners directly from the door seal?

If the headliner is wet and water is comming from in front of the
visor where the windshield is then yes water is probably leaking in
from the glass. I've had this problem on other cars and the solution
was to shoot some silicone in between the wind shield (clear non-
shrinking GE silicone II from home depot works very well for this job
and all sealing tasks in the service bulletin). You would have to
remove the black trim piece at the top of the windshield to gain
access, but I couldn't help you there on how to remove it. But on a
side note, on the cars I've had that have had this problem, the car
would get VERY noisy at higher speeds from the air rushing in.

If water is dripping from the headliner behind the visor and leads
up to the door seal, then the problem is that your headliners
are "wicking" water. If this is the case, check in the gutter between
the door seal and the windshield to see if any cloth is sticking out
from between the rubber seal and the fiberglass. If so you will need
to remove the rubber to trim the cloth back. Other wise the cloth
dips into the draining water and will suck the water up and channel
it thru the cloth to drip inside. Just like a lantern wick does.

If water is dripping down from between the headliners where the
door hits the rubber seal, one thing you can try would be to swap the
inner door seals with each other. That helps a little bit. But what I
ended up doing for my car after I switched seals was rather then push
the rubber all the way down, leave it attached only a little bit,
just enough to keep it in place. Then when you close the door, the
door will push the seal down as far as needs to seal. Manually
seating the seals by pushing them all the way down can create gaps.

Other then that, make sure that you refer to Service Bulletin ST-
33-12/81 on water leaks to cover all other areas. Make sure that
after driving in wet weather that you pull up your floor mats to make
sure your carpet is dry. If not you may need to seal additional items
on the underside and/or in your wheelwell(s). Also keep the gutters
clean of leaves and dirt.

-Robert
vin 6585