wanting info on smartly buying a delorean

wanting info on smartly buying a delorean

hey everyone,

this is my first post to the dmcnews-list. i hope this does not offend
anyone because i'm sure 99% of you have deloreans already and are crazy about
them!! well for the last couple years i've gotten quite a fascination with
these cars and i've been doing a lot of research on the subject. i would
like to ask a few questions to the real brains of the delorean underground -
you, the owners and the enthusiasts!! hopefully someone out there has the
patience to help me out....

1. in your experience, how reliable is the delorean as an average-driven car?
this would be my second car in my ownership. obviously it varies with the
previous owners, how well it has been driven, etc. but over-all, seriously.
what is the average mile-life of a delorean? i rarely see any advertised with
more than 80K.

2. in reality, how easy is it to get parts for a delorean? i'm talking
mechanical, brakes, electrical, engine, tranny, etc. not specialized interior
or outer panels. is the PRV-V6 easily serviced by a volvo dealer? or any
dealer?

3. is there anything fatal i should be looking for when looking at a
delorean for sale? is there any 'magic piece' that is notorious for failure?
any good tips on indications of abuse or hidden problems?

4. finally - is there anyone out there who knows where i can get a good
condition delorean in the upper midwest? i'd pay between 10K and 16K for one
under 30K miles with a nice interior, no major work needing to be done. all
of the classifieds i have seen are either out of date or on the coasts, for
the most part, or there's something wrong with them. and i've seen LOTS of
classifieds over the last few months. any help here is very appreciated!!

thanks for bearing with 'another newbie!'
- Andy