Rattle in automatic transmission

I was driving my car home when I noticed what sounded like a rattle in my
door. I hit the breaks, and the rattle stops. I repeat this several times
coasting with the door open listening to where the sound was coming from.
It was coming from the rear of the car.

I get the car home, put it up on jacks, take the rear wheels off and check
the breaks thoroughly. They all look fine. I run the car in drive with the
car on jack stands, and I don't hear the noise until I step on the breaks.
Then the transmission makes a clacking rattling sound every time I hit the
breaks.

I shut the engine off, crawl under the car and spin the rear wheels with the
car in neutral. Turning one or both rear wheels either forward or backwards
produces a rattle in the front of the transmission. Is this normal? I've
never heard this kind of noise from the car before, so I'm not sure what to
expect.

I assume the rattle I hear in the transmission is the same rattle I first
heard driving the car home.

Any suggestions or comments?

Walt Tampa, FL