Re: Rattle in automatic transmission

I'm a little confused, first you said the rattle stops when you hit
the brakes then you say it rattles when you brake. On the subject of
the transmission noise first I would do as many external checks as
possible. Some of the things to inspect are the following; all
mounting bolts to the motor and the frame, the oil level in the final
drive, the c-v joints and the bolts, trailing arm bolts, remove the
cover and inspect the torque converter and the bolts to the flywheel,
the fluid level in the trans. If you cannot find the cause externaly
then you might have to consider removing the trans, final drive,
torque converter unit because a rattling noise from the transmission
is not normal and could be a sign that something is comming loose
inside. A rattle comming from the front of the trans could be an
early
sign that the c-1 clutch pack is broken. This is a common problem,
the
c-1 drum is only spot-welded together and the spot-welds will break
from a bad shift computer or driving very hard on the auto trans.
Remove the pan and see if you find shiny metal particles. A small
amount of friction materiel is normal but metal is not. You might
even
see some metal particles on the dipstick but the magnet in the pan is
supposed to catch them. If the fluid smells burnt then you wiped out
the trans and it is time to pull it out.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> I was driving my car home when I noticed what sounded like a rattle
in my
> door. I hit the breaks, and the rattle stops. I repeat this
several times
> coasting with the door open listening to where the sound was coming
from.
> It was coming from the rear of the car.
>
> I get the car home, put it up on jacks, take the rear wheels off
and
check
> the breaks thoroughly. They all look fine. I run the car in drive
with the
> car on jack stands, and I don't hear the noise until I step on the
breaks.
> Then the transmission makes a clacking rattling sound every time I
hit the
> breaks.
>
> I shut the engine off, crawl under the car and spin the rear wheels
with the
> car in neutral. Turning one or both rear wheels either forward or
backwards
> produces a rattle in the front of the transmission. Is this
normal?
I've