Installing ignition dist

Hello,
I am fixing up a DeLorean which sat outside for a long time. I am
getting ready to install a new ignition distributor and was wondering if I
have the right idea. I am not that much of a mechanic and have never done
this before, I just want my car to run again!
Do I get the # 1 firing cylinder in the firing position and have the
distributor rotor ponted at the small mark on the inside of the distributor
housing? and then put the cap on it? question, How do I get the #1 cylinder
in the correct firing position? what number should the mark on the pulley
line up with? also, do I know what I am doing? its very possible I don't.
please let me know if that is the case and tell me the correct way:) email
me privately.
Thanks
David