Re: Installing ignition dist

David,
You don't have to get the engine to the #1 firing position as you
stated to change the distributor cap and rotor. The mark "1" on the
cap is used as a refrence for when you are plugging all of the spark
plug wires back onto the cap. To make thigs a little easier, leave
all the wires plugged in on your old cap and remove it from the
distributor (cap and wires together). Don't unplug the wires from the
spark plugs either. I would suggest replacing the rotor under the cap
at the same time. After you have removed the cap with the wires still
attached, install the new cap onto the distributor. Now one by one
starting from the mark "1" on the old cap unplug each wire and plug
it into the new cap. For example: Unplug the wire from the mark "1"
on the old cap, plug it into the marke "1" on the new cap, take out
the next wire next to it (dosen't matter from which direction you are
going) and plug it into the same corresponding spot on the new one.
This way you won't mix up all the wires by unplugging them all.

Hope this helps.