Re: Ducy to Motorola swap in an '82

Wayne,
Just going to throw my 2 cents worth in. If I were you I would
upgrade to the DELCO alternators that are available. There are two
types, The 105amp one and the 144amp one. You can't go wrong with
either one and it will supply more than enough power for
Air/Radio/Lights on. There is a guy on the DML who sells the 144amp
unit that requires no modification to the car at all. PJ Grady also
sells a drop in 105amp unit. Or you can do what I did, go down to
your local autoparts store, pick up a 105amp Delco unit and install
it. You will have to modify two small things on your car to get it
in. One is the Pivot plate and the other is the wiring harness.

IMHO I feel that by getting an aftermarket unit that is easily
obtainable anywhwere and at any parts store is alot better. If the
unit ever dies on you in the future, you can take it out, go to the
parts store get another one, drop it in and your ready to roll the
same day. PEP Boys has a lifetime warranty on their alternators, so
do some other parts store. If you want more info go to my website
www.dmcman.homestead.com. I have detailed description on what to
modify, how to go about modifying and the Alternaor P/N.

Steve

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, deloreanernst@xxxx wrote:
> My '82 is supposed to have the Motorola alternator, of course, but
somehow
> has the Ducellier that's only supposed to be in the '81's. (Yes,
I'm
> positive!) When I first got the D and changed the belts, the
mechanic told
> me the alternator belt size supplied by my DeLorean vendor in the
minor tune
> up kit was the "wrong" size. I'm guessing that's because it's the
wrong
> alternator, which I didn't realize when I bought the tune up kit.
My voltage
> readings are usually low. 12 at best, frequently lower... 10 or
less,
> especially with the a/c on.
> Tomorrow morning I'm having a used Motorola installed. It came
with the
> bracket arm attached. And I still have that correct "wrong" belt.
Any other