Re: Wreck

Tom wrote:

> Last friday as I was driving my D a disaster struck....
> <snip>
> I'm starting to think that I was not meant to own a DeLorean.

Tom, I feel for you. The Automotive Gods are fickle indeed.

While "Rustus" is the most feared by the general automotive enthusiast, we DeLorean
owners only fear Rustus' wrath on our frames. Therefore, the other automotive gods
often gang up to get us. Accumluatorus Fuel, and his brothers Pumpus Fuel and
Contaminatus Fuel come to mind most easily, although most feared by a "D" owner is
the mighty Not-my-faultus Accidentus. Accidentus' wrath has been recorded
throughout history. One particular quote is quite relevant for this event, written
by none other than William Shakespeare.

To "D" or not to "D". That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing, end them...

The quote I'm sure is familiar. However, Shakespeare was misquoted. The scene was
actually written about a carriage he had purchased from Sir Zachary DeLorean, a
famous gull-wing carriage designer of the day (Hey, gullwings were a real novelty
then too). A young wench in an ox-cart pulled in front of him in the village and
caused a lot of front end damage to his carriage. Luckily, there was no real
structural damage as his carriage had the horse power mounted in the rear (another
novelty of the day), and the front crumple haybaskets absorbed most of the impact.
Anyway... I'm rambling.

An event like this is especially hard when you love the Automotive Gods so much. I
for one do. I spend outrageous amounts of time, money, and love to try to win their
favors. But still the Gods are fickle. I've been involved in seven crashes,
including being hit by a train, a bus, a helicopter (don't ask), and a Jet Ski (even
worse...) and a near miss with a plane on the runway at the Boca Raton, FL airport
at F.A.U. I've also had that car damaged by falling into the ocean, Hurricane
Andrew, two tornadoes, a bolt of lightning, and a flood. All of that happened to
the same -one- car, and I still have that car to this day. I have had four cars
since, and have suffered less and less "events" with each one (knock on wood...
er... woodgrain)

It boils down to this: you -can- show the Automotive Gods who is boss. If they
really wanted to 'take you out', you wouldn't be writing to us right now -- you'd be
six feet under (in a brushed-stainless, gull-lid coffin?) No, they're testing
you... testing whether you will take arms against a sea of troubles, and by
opposing, end them... or... whether you'll just give up and drive a Ford Fiesta. I
have a feeling that you're going to fight back, and fight back hard. There are 1,050
people on this list that will help you fight back. Hang in there, we're all with
you. You'll be Living the Dream again in no time.

-Dave Stragand
Vin #05927