Re: Camshaft

Hmmm - sounds like you are working with a Volvo mechanic. I'm sure
DMCJoe will chime in here too.

There was a history of cam problems with this engine in Volvos, but
it was cured prior to putting them in DeLoreans. This is probably NOT
your problem. This should be able to be diagnosed by pulling off the
cam covers with the engine in the car and taking some measurements.
The Volvo-application engine is similar but not generally considered
a bolt-in replacement due to differences in oil pan design/shape.
Brand-new DMC engines are readily available, as well as parts-car
engines. It's best, and usually cheaper, to use the right one.

Dave