Re: [DML] Re: Inertia switch bypass

My fuel pump is working properly again! Below is the diagnosis of this common
problem, which I *thought* was caused by a faulty inertia switch bypass.

BRUCE BENSON wrote:

> Several years ago I helped a friend diagnose a non-functioning fuel pump. We
> found no continuity between the pump and the inertia switch.

This turned out to be my problem, too. However the trouble was neither in the
inertia switch nor in the wires between the pump and the switch. It was the
connecting plug right at the pump. The connector was simply worn out. $2.49 at
the hardware store got me back on the road.

Many thanks to all the DMLers who responded, but it was actually Warren at DMC
Houston who tipped me off to this solution. Apparently these electrical
connections wear out frequently, and original replacements are not available.
It's just as well, since the new connector I installed should last much longer
than the original.

Unfortunately, now my water pump has developed a small leak. I suppose at 60k
miles it was just about my time. I have ordered a replacement, but I might not
get it installed before I am scheduled to be at a car cruise this Saturday. If
anyone sees a DeLorean slowly emerging from a shroud of hot steam, it's probably
me.

[That was a joke, BTW. I will only drive my DeLorean if I have installed the
new water pump by then.]

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years