fender reproduction

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, heskin@xxxx wrote:

> I'm sure I'm missing something here..
> why can't some enterprising person take an
> existing LF fender (for example), make a new die from that, and get
> few hundred fenders produced? Are the starup costs just too
great?
> Are there legal issues with copying the design? Obviously, there
is
> enough demand.

A couple of problems. Take a look at the repro steel fenders commonly
passed off by body shops for conventional cars. They are made in the
manner you describe (in China), and fit so poorly that the shops have
to rework them for a proper fit. Try reworking a bad stainless
stamping - without bondo. Stamping stainless is an even bigger
nightmare than normal steel since it has a much higher spring-back
factor.

I'm not sure that I understand where the approprate level of "demand"
would come from. That implies that several hundred people would be
wrecking the front end of their cars, and soon enough that anyone
making such fenders would recoup the investment. "Enterprising" means
that the person would expect to make money in a short period of time.
With the relatively limited number of cars driven often enough to be
exposed to accidents, there are plenty of spare parts in the form of
parts cars. As time marches on, the supply of good panels from
otherwise worn-out cars will tend to increase. The stainless is
probably the MOST re-useable part of a "parts car". I've been
watching this for several years now, and have often seen front
fenders, even the scarce "left" one, for sale for much less than the
mythical $5000 price. I don't notice a lot of people posting to the
list looking for sheet metal parts.

Maybe James would chime in here (maybe not due to competitive
reasons) but I'd be curious about your view as to the yearly demand
for replacement DMC body panels. I'd be that its less, way less, then
100 panels of all 8 SS pieces used on the car, not just front
fenders.

Dave