Re: [DML] fender reproduction

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, heskin@xxxx wrote:

> I'm sure I'm missing something here..
> why can't some enterprising person take an
> existing LF fender (for example), make a new die from that, and get a
> few hundred fenders produced? Are the starup costs just too great?
> Are there legal issues with copying the design? Obviously, there is
> enough demand.

I'm not sure that I understand where the approprate level of "demand"
would come from. That implies that several hundred people would be
wrecking the front end of their cars, and soon enough that anyone
making such fenders would recoup the investment. "Enterprising" means
that the person would expect to make money in a short period of time.
With the relatively limited number of cars driven often enough to be
exposed to accidents, there are plenty of spare parts in the form of
parts cars. As time marches on, the supply of good panels from
otherwise worn-out cars will tend to increase. The stainless is

There really is not that much demand for LF fenders at this time. Dave is correct about parts cars being the primary source for LF fenders. That will probably be the case for some time. The selling price is also much less than $5000, in fact, I would venture to say that it would be less than half that.

In the year or so I have been at DMC, we have yet to replace a LF fender. Periodically we get calls for them, and while we have a limited supply in stock, it is not an item that we make available for retail sale. If your LF fender is damaged to the point of needing replacement, call us and we'll discuss your options.

I am still amazed at the level of severity in which a damaged panel can still be repaired. See the photos at our website for possibly the most extreme example.

http://www.delorean.com/service/service.asp

Even at a labor rate of $62.50 an hour, repairing is often cheaper than replacement, for any of the SS panels. However, SOME panels are more difficult to repair than others. Hoods are an example, as are the doors.

Maybe James would chime in here (maybe not due to competitive
reasons) but I'd be curious about your view as to the yearly demand
for replacement DMC body panels. I'd be that its less, way less, then
100 panels of all 8 SS pieces used on the car, not just front
fenders.

When the factory closed, owners were fearful that parts would "run out". SSI even discusses briefly that at some point in the future fiberglass repros will have to be made and then painted. That day is a LONG, LONG way off. Our estimate is that at the current rate of consumption (which undoubtedly will decline over time as the cars age and are driven lesss, hence last chance for accidents - and poorer cars will be parted out), there is at least a 20 year supply of stainless panels.

People always ask about the cost of the panels, and I relate the story of the right quarter panel that we replaced on a clients car - about $1000 - which was less than the cost of the quarter panel on his Lexus.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573