[DML] Re: Another Funny Story

----- Original Message -----
From: Josh Haldeman <haldeman.4@xxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 1999 2:15 PM
Subject: [DML] Another Funny Story

> Dear List,
> did a quick inspection and discovered a trickle of antifreeze running
> down the street behind my car, so I popped the bonnet and explored. I
> found that when the Jiffy Lube geniouses had put one of the cooling
> hoses back on, they put it too close to the air conditioner belt. As
> the car heated up, the hose expanded and came into contact with this
> belt, thus wearing a neat hole just deep enough for the cooling system
> to lose all pressure.

I just replaced the coolant system hoses this past spring. Last weekend I
noticed the same problem you have, the long hose that crosses over the belt
had a nice groove worn in it. I was wondering how that happened since there
was clearance between the hose and belt. BTW, the belt is tensioned
properly. I wasn't to happy when I discovered this problem. It seems that
the metal "loop" that surrounds the hose at the top must have been an after
thought in the design. I still have the original hoses that came with the
car, I need to get them out and look to see if the construction is the same
as the replacement set I purchased last spring. A good quality coolant hose
should have reinforcement cords in them to prevent expansion at operating
temperatures.

I am curious if other list members have had this sort of problem, or is it
that I posses the same genius genes as the Jiffy Lube staff.

Scott
2981