From: Murray Fisher <murrayf@xxxx>
To: DeLorean <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DML] Antennas
Date: Monday, August 30, 1999 11:43 AM

As a matter of a little antenna history....My work before I retired was in
communications along electronic and computer lines. I have had all types
of configurations in my cars over the years. I had one in a new Chev slung
under the running boards encased in rubber! IT worked on local stations.
Then I had them embedded in the windshield in some cars. NOTHING ever was
as efficient as an exterior "whip": of some sort and usually the longer the
better...with FM, length is of some importance, but AM doesn't matter so
much. Basically, for receiving, the more wire in the air the better. The
earlier D's tried to eliminate external stuff on the car apparently by
building it into the windshield....for those days, it was NOT a good idea,
hence the switch to the various configuration of vertical whips. My D is
an 81 of October build date and has the left rear whip that retracts out of
site or extends when you turn the radio on. I have had three Lincoln
Continentals lately that all have both the AM and FM antennas built into
the glass. Back to the olden days...however with modern electronic
technology, these are tops and I could ask for nothing better.

For what its worth department!

Murray
Vin: 5962 Lic: DMC-XII
Washington State

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address
moderator@xxxx