[DML] Antenna Technology Idea

DMC Joe wrote:

> . . . Radio sensitive technology has improved drastically since
> the late 70's when the factory installed units were designed. [SNIP]

> I would like to see if today's auto radio technology coupled
> with the windshield antenna would make for satisfactory reception.

Next chance you get take a look at one of the GM "Dustbuster" minivans (Lumina APV /
Silhouette / TranSport). You will not see any radio antenna at all. These minivans achieved
their smooth, futuristic look thanks to technology of the early 90s, which allowed the antenna
to be built inside the rear part of the roof (which I believe is plastic).

I own both a TranSport with an in-roof antenna and a DeLorean with an in-windshield antenna,
and I can attest to the fact that the TranSport gets *much* better radio reception than the
DeLorean, especially on AM. Good as it is, the TranSport's radio reception is still not quite
as clear as a car with a whip antenna.

I have often wondered if this same technology could be used to build an antenna inside or
under the rear sunshade louvers of a DeLorean. That would achieve both the look Guigaro
intended and the radio performance owners expect.

Do any electrical engineers out there feel up to the challenge?

- Mike Substelny