[DML] Speaker Box Update

As some of you know, I have been working on a subwoofer box for the back
shelf of the D.

This past weekend, I was able to assemble the box, and take some
accurate measurements, if anyone wants to try to reproduce it.

For the audio enthusiast:

The box is a "wedge" shape, and using the wedge speaker formulas, the
internal air volume is about .9FT^3 Using geometry formulas, I
calculate the volume to be .822FT^3 Close enuff!

Because the front of the wedge ended up to be about 10 inches (smaller
than I would have liked) it will be risky to put a 10 inch woofer in
there. If you recall, my plan was to use a sealed enclosure with some
10 inch Kicker solobaric woofers (EXPENSIVE!)

With the results as they are now, I will use a high power 8 inch woofer
in a 4th order vented box. Although this will not be as "tight", it
will be more efficient and have a lower resonant frequency (about
33Hz). It should not sound as "boomy" as the bandpass enclosures that
most of the obnoxious "thumper" cars have in them.

I have looked at a number of drivers, and the MTX BTLB4 looks like a
good candidate. According to their web site, this will work well in a
box of my size with a 2X7.75 port. I have no prices on them yet.

If anyone is interested in progress pictures, of drawings to try and
duplicate it, please contact me directly. I hope to have it complete in
the next month.