[DML] Re: D wont start

Check your battery, make sure it is at least 12.5V with a real Volt
meter (not the one on the dashboard) Even with the battery in the 10V
range, most of the cars accessories will work fine.... But the starter
wont!

My guess is that for some reason your battery voltage is low. If you
verify that, your next step is to figure out why.

If the voltage is good, you should do a few more tests on the electrical
system to make sure you have a good low resistance connection between
the battery and the starter. A small amount of resistance in this
circuit can amount to a large voltage drop when you put large amounts of
current through it (starting the car). Look for loose or dirty
connections on all of the components, including the negative battery
cable.

Starter solenoids (and starters) tend to burn up when there is too much
current running through them. That happens because the coil requires a
specific amount of power to operate.

OHM's law of P=I*E (Power = Current * Voltage) says that if you have a
low voltage situation, the current will increase to keep the power
constant.

The problem gets worse, because with the added current, the coil heats
up more. When the heat goes up, the resistance goes down. When the
resistance goes down, the current goes up. This will continue until the
circuit is broken either by you letting go of the key, or the coil
burning out (or the battery drains).

Good luck!

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/dmcnews