[DML] Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

[DML] Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

Soft shifts may be nice for the occupants of the vehicle but they are
hard on the clutches inside the transmission. First off check the
fluid level as per the manual. Then check the line pressure. If it
still whines I would either clean or replace the filter. The shifts
should be "noticeable" but the 2-3 upshift is usually softer than the
1-2 upshift. Watch the tach, you will see when the trans shifts.
Downshifts tend to be rougher, with the 3-2 again being softer than
the 2-1 downshift. If the shifts seem to be erratic and you get
downshifts out of nowhere you need to do something with the shift
computer. Do not continue to drive the car if it whines. This could
mean the filter is plugged up and the line pressure is low which will
wipe out your clutches in no time. It could also be the fluid level is
low and the pump is sucking air. Different problem but same result,
burnt clutch packs! If the cold is affecting the whining I would tend
to suspect the filter is either bad or plugged up. There is a
procedure over at dmcnews.com in the tech section on cleaning the filter.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes@xxxx>