From: Enid/Jeremiah [mailto:hispanicangeleyes@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 6:20 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Questions on automatic transmissions

Hey everyone,

A couple questions.  I never really paid any attention to it, but I was
wondering how a ideal working automatic transmission shifts.  Obviously,
1st->2nd->3rd, but what is its behavior?  Is it
supposed to shift really hard and firmly, or does it shift softly like
todays modern cars where one can barely feel a shift at all?  Would a change
in temperature (summer vs winter weather) have a effect on the shifting
patterns?  Also, when the automatic transmission downshifts, should you be
able to really feel the downshifts or should it be really smooth and almost
unnoticeable?  My car shifts up very firmly, and it downshifts from 2nd to
1st very firmly, but I don't really detect any downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.

One last thing.  Lately with the morning temperature in the mid 20's, I've
noticed a high-pitched whine when going from first to second.  This is if
the car is driven with no warm-up idle time.  Today, I let it warm up to
about 160 degrees, and it doesn't make this noise driving down the street
with warm up time.  Is this anything to take note about, or is this just how
the car behaves when driven from a dead cold start in
25 degrees?

Thank you for your time.

Jeremiah