[DML] Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

[DML] Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

An accurately setup auto shifts nice and smooth hot or cold - in
really cold weather the shifts are a little smoother - almost
unnoticeable - warmed up - noticeable but smooth - no banging or
jerking. I notice the change in engine sound more than anything
along with more getup, especially at WOT. Never notice down shifting
at coasting to stops or stopping. Down shifting from throttle
response is firm but smooth and up shift the same - I try never to
let the trans have to go through two gear shifts at once - i.e.
first to third or third to first (I just visualize too much stuff
going on in there for the by-pass of gears to be good for it).

To get what I consider a really smooth trans took me a few years of
working with an auto trans that was abused in its early years and
run for some time with the computer screwed up.

Three critical adjustments: The trans throttle cable, the computer
working correctly and the vacuum module. And, the engine has to be
working and idling correctly. In terms of problem areas I'd say
first computer, then engine running correctly, throttle adjustment,
vacuum module. Last, trans internals.

The whine - is it in first or at the shift 1-2 only? That sounds
like a trans filter clogged up or air in the system. Have you
serviced the trans lately? The harsh down shift is a symptom of a
faulty computer but an engine with a fast idle or slow to idle
symptom will cause a similar issue.

Diagnosing a D trans is really an art as much as a science in my
experience. But, you have to be sure you're dealing with one problem
not two or more. That requires checking everything one at a time.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Enid/Jeremiah