[DML] Re: Fw: First Outing With My DeLorean-STRANDED

[DML] Re: Fw: First Outing With My DeLorean-STRANDED

Whenever you have a problem with the automatic transmission the best
course of action is to go over all the external adjustments. They
include adjusting the line pressure. It could be a sticking vacuum
modulater too. If the fluid was never changed I would replace the
fluid, pan gasket and filter. This allows an internal inspection. You
can see just how much metal and friction materiel has accumulated. The
direct answer to your question is: Yes, low line pressure could be the
cause, but I would also check the filter and the vacuum modulater. The
vacuum modulater is what adjusts and modulates the line pressure in
response to vacuum. If the filter is dirty it would restict the flow
of fluid and cause the pressure to be low too. Check the fluid level
as per the procedure in the Workshop Manual. Don't forget the final
drive level too. It is separate from the trans in the automatic. While
you are at it check the hoses at each end of the pipe that connects
the vacuum to the modulater. If they are hard, kinked, cracked, or
just disconnected replace them so the modulater gets an accurate
vacuum signal.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757