Re: [DML] Concours Judging For Options & Accessories

Re: [DML] Concours Judging For Options & Accessories

See Below.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mike.griese@xxxx wrote:
> Marc - the process DMCH uses is not very different than
> how the Mustang Club of America or the National Corvette
> Restorers Society run their concours events.  The
> judges have a book based on the best information
> available about the particular vintage of cars.
> Early Mustangs are particularly difficult to judge
> given the number of options available and the fact
> that most option packages did not have any correlation
> to the VIN.  There are 110% of the total number of
> 1965 Mustang GTs on the road today because of the
> ease of adding the options.  And there is no way to
> tell if the car was originally built that way.  And
> you want to talk about picky?  Just wait until you
> lose points at an NCRS judging because the OK stamp
> on your rocker cover is "too crisp".

There is not a whole heck of a lot of forgery in the DeLorean
world.   Unless you have a specific rare car (Gold, Legend, famous
owner, and so on) I have my doubts that swapping factory options on
any DeLorean (Transmission, interior color, what else is there?!)
will alter the price.  Making a regular mustang in to a GT will.
This is a bad comparison..  FWIW, my 1966 mustang  convertible with a
200cid and bench seat is how it came from the factory although it is
not the same color. :)

> If someone finds a documented original car - single
> owner, low mileage, documented service history, etc.,
> the MCA and NCRS change their judging books.  I would
> imagine that if someone had a DeLorean like that, DMCH
> would change their judging criteria, too.  They just
> need to know about it.

This was done, specifically with a few samples of 1983 DeLoreans with
1981 exhaust systems.  I recall one of these cars loosing first place
because of this single item.

> Your advice to buy a driver if you want to drive it
> and a winner if you want trophies fits any marque of car.
> DeLoreans are not unique in that respect.
>
> --

Note to Everyone:  My first message took exactly 48 hours from the
time I sent it, to the time it got posted.  As soon as I saw it was
posted (last night), I sent a follow up saying that I wrote that
without the knowledge of the new "judging team".  That post has not
made it through yet (even though I see others sent after mine have).
I am guessing this is a problem with Yahoo because I also see
messages on the web that I have not gotten in E-Mail yet. (Not
picking on the moderator).  Just a FYI.