Re: [DML] Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.

Re: [DML] Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.

I don't know what proceedure Steger is using to do the rims.
I would assume (from my limited knowledge of chroming) that
the rims are dipped in an acid bath to soak the paint off,
then buffed a litte, sometimes they first dip them in copper
and then into chrome I think.

The chrome looks good, except for the pitting on the back inside
of the rims. Of course this is not viewable to the eye.
My main concern is the black paint on the inside.
You can easily scratch it off with your finger nail.
I can tell it won't last.

They have only been mounted on the car for one day, with no driving or
cleaning yet. I will get some good pictures of them and we will see
how they hold up under everyday use.
- Videobob
VIN#5278

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@xxxx> wrote:

> I guess you don't know what kind of work it is to polish the wheels.
> And painting a polished surface ??? How would this work ?
>

> I have a shop here that powder coats my wheels for 50Euro each.
> Indcluded is chemical removing the old paint, glas beading the surface
> so the paint will stick better to it (!), then heat them up and powder
> coat them with silver color and a clear coat.
>
> That's 200Euro (almost same in $) alltogether.  Plus another 30-40 bucks
> for mounting and balancing all four wheels.
>

> And you said something about having your own new wheels machined on a
> CNC machine ?
> I know people who make that for BBS (yes, the company that makes the F1
> wheels !)
> and they would never sell them to a private person for street use !
NEVER !