Re: [DML] Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.

Re: [DML] Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.

I have had Don's chromed rims on my car for 2 years
now.  They have covered over 15,000 miles including
gravel roads and snow and slush.

As to the paint, it stands up well.  Thhree of my four
wheels still look new.  The paint between the vanes
did begin to flake off on the fourth wheel.  I called
it to Don's attention.  He is having it repainted.

I just don't think I could ask for much more.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

--- Robert Moseley <videobob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know what proceedure Steger is using to do
> the rims.
> I would assume (from my limited knowledge of
> chroming) that
> the rims are dipped in an acid bath to soak the
> paint off,
> then buffed a litte, sometimes they first dip them
> in copper
> and then into chrome I think.
>
> The chrome looks good, except for the pitting on the
> back inside
> of the rims. Of course this is not viewable to the
> eye.
> My main concern is the black paint on the inside.
> You can easily scratch it off with your finger nail.
> I can tell it won't last.
>
> They have only been mounted on the car for one day,
> with no driving or
> cleaning yet. I will get some good pictures of them
> and we will see
> how they hold up under everyday use.
> - Videobob
> VIN#5278