[DML] Re: Hot Start #2

You really have to make sure you are getting spark before you decide
it is a fuel problem. Since you said the plug swap won't get you
started you have to consider that it may not be a fuel system problem.
I would inspect the primary ignition system including the ballast
resistors, the wiring and connections to the starter, and the bypass
relay. It should be easy to troubleshoot as it seems to be consistant
ie it always happens when it is hot. The car should not backfire AT
ALL! I would suspect bad ignition wires, cap, and rotor. You might
also have to adjust the intake and exhaust valves. I think at this
point if you haven't done it and you don't know when it was last done
(if ever) you should do a complete tune-up replacing the secondary
ignition system parts and cleaning the fuel injectors. Finish by
replacing the injector seals, air filter, and fixing all the vacuum
leaks before setting the mixture on an analyzer. You might want to
also make sure that you are getting power (when the ignition is on) at
the plug going to the control valve. A problem with the power on that
plug would keep the plug swap trick from working and make the car hard
to warm up.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757