[DML] Re: Engine Conversions -- Carbureted PRV (Robert)

[DML] Re: Engine Conversions -- Carbureted PRV (Robert)

Ah yes, the Renault 6 pack. Imminently silly on a 171 inch engine.
I've uploaded a couple of pics to #5939's photo album if anyone wants
to see what they looked like.

Even the pedestrian R30 (early versions) used a funny dual carb setup
(a single barrel and a 2 barrel in series).

The engine I'm buying is a basic A series Volvo block. Don't know yet
if B27 or B28. Very simple single venturi, single plane manifold. Low
profile, which may be handy to clear a DeLo engine cover. I'm not
buying for performance. I'm buying because:
1) Engine is brand new, with all accessories except a gasoline carb
and A/C compressor, at a price that is WAY to good to pass up
2) Everything normally covered up or congested by a K-Jetronic
manifold is SO accessible

Why did you give up on the B280? I really desire one of those,
especially for the even fire sequence. Studied one at length in the
junkyard. If you decided against EFI, couldn't an elbow be rigged up
at the back of the manifold for a carb or a throttle body? Also seem
to remember air passed to a central point in the middle of the
manifold before splitting to the cylinders -- might be able to simply
drill a venturi and grind off a flat mounting platform there. I know
where you can find a complete engine for $150 to experiment with (1990
Volvo Bertone).

Someone on the list is running a B280 with generic EFI.

A series manifold is MUCH lower profile than B280. Ports are surely
smaller too.

Bill Robertson