[DML] Re: Engine Conversions -- Carbureted PRV (Robert)

[DML] Re: Engine Conversions -- Carbureted PRV (Robert)

Cost eficiency played a large roll in both my initial chosing of the
even-fire PRV, and my deciding against it. Pretty much, I've leaned
away from the conversion because of the cost efficiency of the fuel
injection system. I've already gotten quite a bit invested in the fuel
injection system as it is. Over the past 4 years, 2 sets of fuel
injectors, 2 fuel pumps as of this spring, $1K alone for the fuel
distributor, lambda probe, ignition module, and the associated hoses
and what not that have gone into the restoration of the fuel system. I
really just hate the idea dumping these perfectly good parts that I've
paid for, and had tuned, because the new engine cannot accomodate
them.

Another factor in my initial choosing was also that since it was a
drop-in, I wasn't really going to have to worry about modifications to
the car. Swap out plates on the engine, and I could use my old motor
mounts, and since the displacement was only going to be marginally
larger, I could just stick with the stock cooling system. And of
course, I was really looking forward to converting my engine over from
two "V" belts, over to a single Serpentine that was self tensioning.

As for engine options, I've decided that if I'm going to put the time
and money into it, then it's going to be either all, or nothing. I've
thought about turbo charging, but have thought that if I'm going to go
all the way, I'd love to really turbocharge one of those Rover V8
engines. But I can't even find any instances of where anyone has put
forced induction onto one of those motors. At least with the PRV, some
factory versions of them came turbo charged, and there is some
documentation on them. But even then, I'd outsource as many parts, and
knowlege as possible from the UK, since the motors are a bit more
prevalent ocross the pond. So if I'm gonna go that route, then I'm not
gonna bother even looking any further at the even-fire PRVs that are
available domesticly, since I can't really use them. Besides that, I
like the easy to tune CIS on my car, even if it does drink like a fish
when you slam the gas pedal down. It's only economical if you are.

Otherwise, unless I perform something totally major like a
turbocharged setup, I'm just not too fond of the idea of investing a
couple grand, and allot of time with an EFI installtion, just for a
marginal gain in power. Especially when Houston offers such a
lucrative turn-key upgrade. But by the same token, I'm still very
non-commital at this point. I may install a universal EFI kit that I
can later on use with a turbo charged system, or I may even cut and
weld one of those 3.0L manifolds to accomodate my CIS. I've not yet
set my mind to any firm decisions, as I'm not quite up to the engine
work portion of my car yet. But rest assured, while I may have leaned
twards, or against different things, I've not writting anything off
entirely yet.

Who knows. In the end, I may just become so indecisive amout engine
upgrades and swaps, that I may just build both a turbo, and non
aspirated, and swap them in and out of the car whenever I see fit.
Although I've got to admit. With the track record that I've had with
my existing PRV, that has certainly made an impression on me to stick
with these motors.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
<SNIP>
> Why did you give up on the B280? I really desire one of those,
> especially for the even fire sequence.
<SNIP>