Re: [doc] Cautionary tales

Hi Chris

I'd be happy to sort out an article on the subject, although Rich H
would be just as capable and I know he's done his. Interestingly if
you've seen the old TAB's on our website (parts page), they actually
came out of the car previously owned by our former technical
advisor..... nuff said.

My "Lex" had only 2353 miles on it when I bought it, although it is an
early car to my knowledge, the bolts were all the same throughout
production. I nearly crashed mine soon after I started driving it and
the cause was half a turn on one TAB. If the back suspension is loose in
any way, the arse end becomes really "snappy". If you pile into a corner
a bit enthusiastically, the car will tend towards understeer, but as the
weight shifts on the rear wheels, the back end will suddenly snap into
oversteer and you really feel the weight of the "pendulum".

A lot of people don't drive their Deloreans as hard as Dan or I do, but
even on a fairly gentle jaunt down to the MOT station has yielded some
alarming handling on some cars. I have yet to see a car with original
TABs that didn't need them at the very least re-torqueing. Most are
bent, some are rusted solid in the arm, and I know of one recently
snapped on a car going over a speed bump (slowly!)

With properly set up suspension, the D is very easy to control and very
hard to un-stick.

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk