Re: [doc] question about refurbing alloys

Re: [doc] question about refurbing alloys

Hi Phil

Picked them up today, they have done a good job, and now they are
powder coated to a close grey and kerbing disappeared, maybe i'm
tooo fussy but before they were done i had a paint match at Jawel
paints.

been to my painter (hes done a few jobs for me before) and he has
said rub down fully with a red scotch bright pad, then he will wet
spray to an exact match and laquer over.
so i'm hoping for a superb finish.

he has said the top coats may not be quite as durable as the powder
coat but with the sort of use the car will have thats not a problem
and should last another 25 years!

i'll probably get him to do my fascias when the time comes.

question. have you or anyone had the black plastic part of the
fascias done? as well as the silver, and does it look ok.
i'm not sure wether to keep as the natural plastic (with a few minor
scratches) or fully paint (i don't want this part of the plastic to
look painted).

Just wondered

update my windscreen is now ordered and when fitted next will be
column bush.

Regards

Steve

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Peters <PhilPeters@...> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Sorry for the delayed reply. I had a similar experience when I
went to A1 wheels. It's a bit of a rag-tag set-up and I know what
you mean about the staff:

> When I took my wheels in, I asked them what colour options they
could offer (hoping that they'd be able to match the shade of silver
exactly). The guy just said "Well, you just want 'em refurbed don't
you? There's nothing more to it than that. £200 cash. Pick 'em up
next week."

> They came back as good as new and the shade is spot on. I'm not
sure if they were wet sprayed though. The only reason I stuck with
them was because I knew from other customers that they have a good
reputation.

> Lap-tab is just off the M6 near Spaghetti junction isn't it? I
have heard they are pretty good. Let us know how you get on.

<blackaddertoo@...>  wrote:
> >Hi Phil
> >
> >i did try there...they did not seem really interested...chap was
> >outside having a fag waited ten minutes then claimed he did not
know
> >i was in there (i'd pulled up with a front wheel in my hand!).
> >
> >he said he was not sure he could do it, because of the splines.
> >he would have a go at £65 a wheel, just did not inspire
confidence.
> >maybe you had a different chap or its changed hands.
> >
> >i've took it to lap-tab in birmingham.
> >
> >Do you know if yours were wet sprayed?.
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Steve
> >

> >--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Peters <PhilPeters@> wrote:
> >>
> >> Steve,
> >>
> >> Try A1 wheels in Wolverhampton. They are located near the
> >roundabout on the ringroad where the tram goes across. Got my
wheels
> >done there in 2002 for �£200 cash and the finish is absolutely
> >superb.
> >>
> >> In can send you some photos off-list if you want.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Phil
> >>
> >> -----------------------------------------------------

> >one.

> >should

> >is

> >the

> >the

> >assumed public and may be printed in the club magazine **

> >> _______________________________________________________________
> >> Halloween Humour: What kind of girl does a mummy go out with?
> >>
> >> postmaster.co.uk
> >> http://www.postmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/meme/quiz.pl?id=154
> >>

> >DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk
> >** Unless otherwise stated, all messages posted to the group are
assumed public and may be printed in the club magazine **
> >Yahoo! Groups Links

> Halloween Trivia: Everyone knows that cats are associated with
witches but what has this got to do with the Plague of 14th century
Europe?