[doc] Noisy Fuel Pump

fluid dynamics means the actual length of hose makes no difference, only the height?

Are you trying to tell me that if you had a mile of hose twirled in many S shapes that you will require the same suction pressure to cause the lift?

I don't think so.

Maybe the frictional forces, viscosity rating, velocity profile of the circular pipes used in this instance are not taken into account.

http://www.efm.leeds.ac.uk/CIVE/CIVE2400/pipe%20flow2_2.pdf

The reason the fuel pumps are noisy is because they are trying to suck high pressure due to a restriction beyond thier limits.

My fuel pump is v quiet at all temperatures and pumps down to the bottom of the tank (yes, I have checked and then filled the tank with 52 litres of petrol)

NickT.

Mike Bosworth <mike.bosworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski wrote:

> > (Obviously my new pick up hose is very short )
>
> As long as the hose itself doesn't collapse (which IS a
surmountable
> problem with the original setup) fluid dynamics means the actuial
length
> of hose makes no difference, only the height of the pickup compared
> the base of the pump

What with the 90 degree bend at the top of the hose and the u bend in
the middle, hence the question mark shape and made out of squezzy
rubber its no wonder it causes problems.

Maybe a simple length of 'un bent' and more rigid hose swept down
from the bottom of the pump into the existing baffle position would
be an advantage, a newer type baffle in this position that doesnt
need 2 pairs of mickey mouses arms to put together. Might be a good
project for someone...