[doc] Re: Gaydon and Noisy Fuel Pump

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx> wrote:

> Are you -sure- you weren't trying to use an AC belt? We do both
belts

:) Yes positive Martin... the new AC belt i got from you origionally
was already fitted on the car ...still is...

It does use the 2-pin plug and if you get them the
wrong way around, it will not work.

Again it was def wired the exact way way you told me, checked this
over time and time again... but im sure you dont remember but my car
didnt have the motorola plug on it as mine origionally had the
ducellier alternator with the 2 wire hook up ..

....Another great mystery that can go up there with the 'building of
the pyramids'

> > The one i was supplied with my origional new pick up hose etc may
as
> > well have been the size of a 1p piece , this being the effective
> > surface area of the suction through it, Still feel a lot of people
> > have this 'pancake' filter in the tanks may be worth updating
this.

> I've never seen a pickup filter that didn't have wadding inside to
keep
> it "open"

Well this one was obtained from the US from DMCH you would think that
this was OEM?.

> > my filter
> > still sits in bottom of the tank just not now in the dead centre,
(
> > im assuming the old baffle arrangement is?...
>
> Yes - that's why it's so convoluted!

:) but still it really isnt that far out from the centre, towards the
front yes ...

> Rather than thinknig about driving up/down slopes, think about what
> happens in your car when its low on fuel and you park facing
uphill? The
> OEM arrangement has it at the middle of the tank, yours has it at
the
> front end.

But facing down hill with an even smaller amount of fuel thats a
different mattter :)

> > (Obviously my new pick up hose is very short )
>
> As long as the hose itself doesn't collapse (which IS a
surmountable
> problem with the original setup) fluid dynamics means the actuial
length
> of hose makes no difference, only the height of the pickup compared
> the base of the pump

What with the 90 degree bend at the top of the hose and the u bend in
the middle, hence the question mark shape and made out of squezzy
rubber its no wonder it causes problems.

Maybe a simple length of 'un bent' and more rigid hose swept down
from the bottom of the pump into  the existing baffle position would
be an advantage, a newer type baffle in this position that doesnt
need 2 pairs of mickey mouses arms to put together. Might be a good
project for someone...

> > Interesting if this heat generated is all by the engine or does
the
> > fans blowing back from the radiator help compound the problem. The
> > old debate on the rad fans / tank shield goes on ....
>
> The tank is heated by three things
>
> 1) The engine heat flowing back in the return line
> 2) The radiator being directly in front of the tank
> 3) The dirty great coolant pipes running directly beneath the tank

Maybe then we are surely all doomed to the bubbling hot petrol in a
plastic tank ... the front air 'dam' available somewhere to deflect
the heat from the rad fans , must in someway help, as well as somehow
deflecting the heat from these coolant pipes...

Like i say it ll works for me, i try not to drive around with less
than a 1/4 of a tank as a rule ...even though i have on quire a few
occassions but all in all an interesting discussion all the same.

Mike

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk