Re: WAS: [doc] DMUK NOW: 400bhp? Are you mad? ;o)

Re: WAS: [doc] DMUK NOW: 400bhp? Are you mad? ;o)

Daniel Willis wrote:

400bhp for instance would be hellishly hard to maintain - and the heat generated would be awesome (you've seen your engine cover on a hot day?)... you'd probably need to fit wheelie bars too ;o)

Not with a decent suspension setup. I agree about the heat, but the Alpine is a rear engined car with a front rad, and the rad on the DeLorean has a similar heritage....

Brakes... well just because they can lock the wheels does not make them "good". In fact, that makes them bad. I've had that conversation before and although some of the technicalities went soaring above my head I can understand it for the most part. With 400bhp they WOULD need changing.

The main issue being brake-fade for which you can look at vented discs and different pads, but the basic premis that if these calipers are capable of locking the wheels, yo've exceeded the capabilities of the tyres, but that's a whole other kettle of ball games.

I for one would LOVE to have a go at this - in fact I'm thinking about passing Hana on and getting a car with no engine to modify. It's too hard to leave mine stock - but I can't go playing with such a straight car.

Dave and I have a long-term plan for what woul dbe the "company car" but it'll be a while before we realise it :)

Martin