WAS: [doc] DMUK NOW: 400bhp? Are you mad? ;o)

Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx> wrote:
>3. Could you give me some specs on the engine such as 0-60 times etc.

400+bhp, depends on the car it's in and the gearbox it's mounted to. sub
6 seconds easily though with the right gearbox. Off the line, it
wouldn't be great due to beign a turbo engine (relatively), though a
standing 1/4 mile would be pretty impressive. For anidea of spec, look
up the stats on a Renault Alpine A610 V6 Turbo.

Martin

The A610 weighs 1420kg and with the standard 250bhp turbo engine and gearbox will get to 60mph in 5.6 seconds. Given the weight of the DeLorean that isn't a million miles away (gearbox ratios allowing). With 400bhp the Delorean (after twisting like a curly fry and obtaining lower orbit) would rocket to 60mph in the mid "4s". It's not that practical to expect the Delorean to do it however... there are forces at work here that dictate otherwise.
400bhp for instance would be hellishly hard to maintain - and the heat generated would be awesome (you've seen your engine cover on a hot day?)... you'd probably need to fit wheelie bars too ;o)

Brakes... well just because they can lock the wheels does not make them "good". In fact, that makes them bad. I've had that conversation before and although some of the technicalities went soaring above my head I can understand it for the most part. With 400bhp they WOULD need changing.

Martin is indeed on the nose about the suspension - it's surprisingly good for it's age and design. Although once again, with a car that's being prepped for such huge power it'd be only right to go with the more modern shock set up. Martin could talk you to sleep about how good that stuff is ;o) (just kidding mate!)

I for one would LOVE to have a go at this - in fact I'm thinking about passing Hana on and getting a car with no engine to modify. It's too hard to leave mine stock - but I can't go playing with such a straight car.

<Twiddles thumbs and strokes chin in delight>

Dan
Vin#5284 - Hana
911 rocket ship
Stupidly quick Vauxhall