Re: [doc] Progress...

You must be unlucky having to repair these cases Martin because the 5 I've repaired were just down to the chips (although 1 did need a wire over a track as the shorted idle speed motor popped a track that acted like a fuse). Lucky for the owners hey.

You mentioned that the thermistor was connected but did you check it's resistance value back at the ecu plug to confirm that the wires are OK? You can use conecting cables and between the plug and the ecu to effectively break out the thermistor from the equation and use a variable resistor to simulate the thermistors temperature characteristics. Should be approx 50-80kohm at 15celsius and 3-4kohm at 80celcius engine coolant temperature if my memory serves me right.

Mind you, I don't understand about the 35v pulse that the ignition ecu generating as you describe would be the problem. This would control the firing of the coil and can be determined with a timing light on the HT lead etc. The switching action (periodicity) of the earth/ ground of the coil is measured by the Idle ECU to obtain feedback on the engines running/ idle speed (white wire). Other than that I am not sure what you are refering to. Please enlighten me as I am curious.

Regards,

NickT.

Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just to confirm: I checked the idlespeed thermistor is connected and it
is, the brass screws are tightened down and the throttle plates drop
back fully. This only leaves the idlespeed motor, or the ECU. The motor
is suspiciously shiny and new-looking suggesting the PO might have
changed it in an attempt to correct the problem.

We currently have three ECU's which _weren't_ repaired by replacing the
IC's - these are a little more complex. The problem comes with
generating the 35v pulse which the ignition ECU kicks out.

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk