[doc] Automatic Choke Fix?

Sorry if this is a dumb question for all of you who know one end of a
dipstick from another but..
My D seems to have trouble getting going at the moment. It used to start
first time every time. Now it coughs and shakes and sounds like it is
running on less than all cylinders. When it warms up it is fine again. My
non-educated guess is that the automatic choke isn't working. I have a
friend who is a mechanic and has done a good job servicing my car. He even
re-built the gearbox when I first got the car 4 or so years ago. I can just
wheel it into him and most likely he'll fix it. To save him some time I'd
like to know if the fault I suspect is the fault and if so do I need to buy
anything non-standard for him to replace?
Thanks
Paul

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk