Re: 5th gear grind

I can tell you will full confidence that there is no differance
between the OEM clutch master cylinder and the Hard Core version that
P.J. Grady sells when it comes to the amount of pressure that has to
be applied. The improved version is annodized with a stainless steel
sleeve inside to prevent corrosion. A slightly larger bore yes, but
there is no differance. It will actually help. Better then myself to
describe the part is P.J.Grady's web site. Look under HCR parts.
Another thing to note is the rebuilt HCR unit is less expensive then
OEM.

The stainless braided clutch line should be considered nessisary of
any car that will see slightly less then regular road usage up to
daily driving. The problem is that when the plastic line heats up, it
will expand under the pressure of the clutch fluid. This means that
engery (or if you will pressure) is wasted on the expansion of the
line rather then the movement of the clutch plate. This means that
when shifting or coasting with the clutch pedal pushed in, material
is being scrapped off of the clutch plate. That's how clutch life can
be reduced. Yes this can also cause grinding when shifting, but I
don't think that this is related to your issue. If you install the
adjustable clutch link, you will not solve the problem of an
expanding clutch line. All that will happen is the clutch line will
eventually just expand more then before.

If your 5th gear is grinding, I would first adjust the shift linkage,
and grease the linkage from gear selector all the way back to the
transmission first. If that doesn't work, or if you're unsure, you
best bet is to call a DeLorean service center/supplier before going
any further. They will be able to relay test procedures to you, and
they can diagnose you symptoms.

I do feel that owner ingenuity is a vital asset to the DeLorean
community, and should be encouraged. But there also has to be a
standard that the DeLorean has to be held to when it comes to things
such as upgrades and repairs. If you try to bargin your car down when
it comes to the parts that it needs, it car will show it. Like the
saying go's, "You get what you pay for." When owning a classic car,
one of the responsibities of ownership is to take care of your car.
Which does include the purchasing of parts which may be a little
higher then we sometimes like. But once it is done, you will never
have to worry about it again.

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Michiel Bohmer" <michiel.bohmer@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I also have a 5'th gear grind. The strange thing is: It has a new
clutch, a
> metal clutchline, new fluid in clutch operating system and
transmission, no
> leaking cilinders and a longered clutch pedal linkage.
>
> I hear Grady has a modification for the master cilinder...
<SNIP>