Re: 5th gear grind

Hi,

I also have a 5'th gear grind. The strange thing is: It has a new clutch, a
metal clutchline, new fluid in clutch operating system and transmission, no
leaking cilinders and a longered clutch pedal linkage.

I hear Grady has a modification for the master cilinder. But I think this
bigger bore (=transporting more fluid) results in a more heavy operation.
(force/area=pressure. A bigger bore results in a bigger area, if your foot
provides the same force on the pedal the hydraulic pressure would be less.
Engaging the pressureplate would take the same force as before, so to meet
up you have to press your foot harder). Í don't know the wishes of other
Delorean owners, but I certainly don't need an even more heavier clutch on
my Delorean.
I think many peoples problems can be easily solved for a bargain. Forget the
steelbraided clutchline for a moment, it's a little expensive and, in my
opinion, it has not that much effect. Go for the pedal-linkage. It's that
black, metal bracket that tranfers the movement of the pedal, to an arm, on
a tube of that pedalconstruction down at your feet. Make your own bracket.
The two holes should be approx 5 mm further apart. In the end your
clutchpedal will be a little higher positioned. In other words; you can
press the pedal further in. It still needs the same force but you can press
it futher in and therefore transport more fluid. I'm sure that in most
cases, it will do the trick. (If you think that drilling two holes in two
plates of metal is difficult you can allways buy that adjustable linkage
that is for sale. It has the same working, you can adjust it at an optimum
aswell).

The sad thing is though, that with all this talk my problem remains. My 5th
gear grinds a bit. Low milage, no air in the cutchline, all other gears work
really smooth, both up and down. Could it be a synchromeshring? For the 5th?
at 24.000 miles on a trans with a hell of a reputation?

Who has a suitable answer?

PS: My next idea is to put the slavecilinder a bit more foreward. I want to
put little bushings between the cilinder and the trans-housing.

Michiel
Vin #2998