[DMCForum] Re: ANSWERS TO MY SEVERAL ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS

[DMCForum] Re: ANSWERS TO MY SEVERAL ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS

Automatics had a lightbulb to illuminate the "PRND12" display -- could
have been that. Could have been an unused clock power lead. I guess it
could even have been the A/C panel illumination (if it never was wired
per factory).

Everything keyed to the headlight switch is Red/Orange, if I recall
correctly. There's a big junction right under the rheostat. In the
process of rewiring my headlight circuit I tied the A/C panel bulbs
bank to it so they wouldn't be illuminated all the time. Whose bright
idea was the original design anyway (I see no need to illuminate the
panel in broad daylight, unless you just want to melt the plastic).
Left my clock alone, however, even though it's pretty useless due to
the mounting angle.

I also chunked the rheostat (didn't work anyway). Once upon a time I
intended to mount cruise control buttons there, but the unit still
remains in its box. Yet another languishing project.

That two wire plug to the idle speed motor/vacuum advance solenoid may
have been intended to trigger automatics in gear versus park/neutral.
Would allow you to idle slow, then open the butterfly futher when the
transmission was in gear (maintaining same slow idle speed). Volvo's
idle spec was 900 +/- 50 RPM, and that may have been to compensate for
the load of an automatic transmission (dropping back to 750-800 when
engaged), which was common practice in those days. Most solenoids that
pressed against the throttle linkage were tied to A/C compressor clutches.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mike clemens <rmclemns@...> wrote:
>
> Two reasons to have a capacitor in any circuit:
>
> First-----to give any starting circuit an extra jolt
> of power when first firing up the circuit.  A good
> example is your home A/C unit.  There is normally a
> huge capacitor wired into the starting circuit.  It's
> that great big huge oblong thing attached to some
> obscure place that has two wires going into it.
> Capacitors store power and only discharge when called
> upon----or some stupid idiot puts his finger across
> the terminals.  :-)   (Not that I have ever done
> something like that!!!  LOL)
>
> Second-----To stop any electrical interference with
> your radio.  Note that on the Delorean there are many
> capacitors wired into any circuit that is in
> continuous motion, when the circuit is energized.  Ex:
> the A/C fan, the coil, the fan speed switch, etc.
> Josh's car even had two capacitors wired into the
> radio circuit (sometime) and the only reason I can
> figure out why is because the PO didn't want to take
> the time to figure out what the real cause of his
> static was.
>
> My thoughts on your original question are that the
> engineers decided they needed a capacitor in the idle
> speed circuit and this was a good place to put it as
> any.  Anybody else have any other thoughts??
>
> Now, just to enlighten everybody----Josh's car had a
> two wires, under the consol, beside the drivers right
> knee that were black and light green/white, but they
> had been cut off at the connector and taped over.
> This puzzled me for a long time before I finally
> figured out the problem.  Anybody want to give it a
> try.  The answer will follow tomorrow, for anyone that
> is interested.
>
> Mike   TPS   1630
>

> --- timnagin <timnagin@...> wrote:
>
> > What would this connector do on cars that used it?
> > My car doesn't have it.
> >

> > Greg
> >

> >   _____

<*> Your email settings: