Re: [DMCForum] Re: the EV1... vs Diesel

timnagin wrote:
> Or, as I mentioned before, drill for our own oil on our own land. We could
> be independent of foreign oil right now, and we already have the refining
> and distribution infrastructure for it. Very little up-front cost.

Where?  ANWR?  There are conflicting estimate of how much oil and NG
there are in ANWR, how much we can actually get out, and how long that
would last us if were swore off foreign oil.  I've read 3 months, 9
months, 2 years...  Suffice it to say that it is not anywhere close to
the 20-30-40 years estimated to be left in the rest of the world.

The answer is not to desperately empty the cupboard, the answer is to
find other sources of energy.

> They have been for quite some time now. Have you seen those Ford's with the
> little green leaf on the side with "FFV"? That is a Flexible Fuel Vehicle.
> I had a 1999 Ford Ranger than was like this.

Those are vehicles that run on both regular unleaded AND E85.  I think
Bob was talking about E85-only engines.  Obviously, the compression
ratio of a FF engine is the same as an ordinary gasoline engine.

>>Electric vehicles with solar, wind, PV or nuclear generation have an
>>almost carbon neutral balance. Both of these technologies need to be
>>pursued-quickly.
>
> Only if you completely ignore the manufacturing, shipping, advertising,
> maintenance and everything else associated with it.

What do you mean?  These facets only contribute to carbon sinks if the
technology used by them do.  I think Bob is talking about a paradigm
shift to new technology.  That is, manufacturing, shipping, advertising
and maintenance would use the newer, cleaner, carbon-neutral energy as well.

Regards,
Jon Heese

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional