[DMCForum] Re: Global Warming Swindle

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@...> wrote:

> I agree with your first statement, but it seems a lot of people do
not.  I
> hear these people talking about the global warming crisis and they state
> over and over that "so many scientists agree, so it must be true."
Science
> is not consensus.  Anyone who believes it is does not understand
science.

Consensus does not make good science, but good science does make
consensus.

> You knowing those people does not make your decisions any more
credible, or
> correct for that matter.  Their study of this also does not make it
without
> fallacy.  If other people are reporting the opposite, based on the same
> research, I ask again - which one is correct?  We do not know.

It is absolutely true that there is a LOT about atmospheric science
and climate change that we don't know, and a LOT of factors flying
around up there that cause these kinds of changes.  Predictions are
called "predictions" because they are not known, but there is a
science behind it; it's not just guesswork.

I mentioned the people I know in the science of it to show that I am
not basing my opinion on the media or some movie.

> I have quite a bit of education in the sciences as well and can read and
> understand this information on my own.  My stating that and proving
I can
> does not make my decision any more correct either.

I guess I haven't made this point very clear:  I'm not trying to
convince anyone of a viewpoint on global warming (or alternate energy,
or E85, or the future of fossil fuels)...  All I'm trying to do now is
defend the fact that I have done the research you're advocating, and
I've made up my mind.  Can we agree on that?

Regards,
Jon Heese

Behalf
> [...]
> have read the scientific literature in climate science journals, I
> have friends who work on ship in the arctic circle 7 months a year,
> doing research on climate change for the U.S. and Canadian
> governments, I've had hour-long discussions with professors and
> scientists who have studied the effects of anthropogenic atmospheric
> carbon and the resulting climate change, my brother-in-law is a
> chemical engineer getting his doctorate in climatology at the
> University of Houston...
>
> I would never tell you "Trust me", because I know you want to find out
> for yourself. But I don't have any magic door to the truth.
>
> Regards,
> Jon Heese
>
> --- In DMCForum@yahoogroup <mailto:DMCForum%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,
> "timnagin" <timnagin@> wrote:
> >
> > Yet, people are saying the same thing about both sides of the issue.
> Again,
> > which one is correct? The truth is, we do not absolutely know.
> Both sides
> > could be termed propaganda.
> >

> > If we have more people saying one side is true does that make that
side
> > true? No. Here is an analogy - there are one hundred people
> standing in a
> > room. Ninety nine of those people say the moon is made of green
cheese.
> > One does not agree. That does not mean the moon is made of green
> cheese.
> >

> > Greg
> >

> > _____
> >
> > From: DMCForum@yahoogroup <mailto:DMCForum%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
> [mailto:DMCForum@yahoogroup <mailto:DMCForum%40yahoogroups.com>
s.com] On
> Behalf
> > Of jonheese
> > Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 12:59 AM
> > To: DMCForum@yahoogroup <mailto:DMCForum%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
> > Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Global Warming Swindle
> >

> > Read the analyses, then say that.
> >
> > This is not a matter of people saying, "Nuh-uh! I think it's this!"
> > We're talking about bodies of scientists rejecting the theories
> > presented, scientists interviewed in the film denouncing the view of
> > the film and saying their interviews were twisted around to put words
> > in their mouths, sources of graphs used in the film shown to be total
> > hogwash based on an analysis of the actual source graph, etc..
> >
> > It really is a piece of propaganda, pure and simple.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jon Heese
> >
> > --- In DMCForum@yahoogroup <mailto:DMCForum%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,
> > "jonheese" <jonheese@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In DMCForum@yahoogroup <mailto:DMCForum%40yahoogroups.com>
s.com,
> > > it be
> believed
> > >
> > > I'm only three-quarters of the way through it yet as well, but I've
> > > already counted more glaring inaccuracies and faulty logic than
I can
> > > even remember without writing them down...
> > >
> > > If you read through the pages I posted links for, you'll see
that the
> > > logic used to denounce the viewpoints of the film is not based
on the
> > > mindset of the people doing the arguing. It shows that some of the
> > > tactics used by the film were dirty tricks, not facts. At least
a few
> > > of the "scientists" interviewed are not experts in the field
they are
> > > discussing, or have opinions and theories that are presented as
proven
> > > fact, when they have not been published or peer-reviewed.
> > >
> > > In addition, I happen to know Tim Ball personally, and he is
> > > bankrolled by petroleum companies (a simply Google search will show
> > > many source of these ties). He used to be a faculty member (not a
> > > professor) in the geography department at the University of
Winnipeg,
> > > but now he tours the country making millions telling people what
they
> > > want to hear. The film credits him as a Professor from the
Department
> > > of Climatology (which doesn't even exist).
> > >
> > > In addition, the film did not mention that there has be NO
science in
> > > the peer-reviewed scientific journals refuting anthropogenic global
> > > warming:
> > >
> > > http://www.sciencem
> > <http://www.sciencem
> <http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686>
> ag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686>
> > ag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686

> > > all of
> > > favor,

> > > believe
> > > side or
> > > so many
> > > so easy
> > >
> > > Yeah, it is more and more difficult for the layperson to get real,
> > > true, unmolested data and analysis on this topic. Both sides have
> > > been politicized and the waters have been muddied to the point where
> > > it's easy not to know which side to trust.
> > >
> > > I don't have an answer for you. You just have to do your due
> > > diligence and research what's being published.

> > > Whatever you determine is right.
> > >
> > > Would "decide" have been a better word?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Jon Heese