Re: [DMCForum] Re: the EV1... vs Diesel

On 9/12/07, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You do realise that older indirect mechanical injection diesels can run
>  on straight veg oil, don't you? (or any kind as long as it's heated to
>  over 80 degrees C before beng allowed near the injection pump). Rigging
>  up a heat exchanger running off the coolant system and electric
>  auxiliary element in a little slave tank is the usual method

Yup, I understand that. I'm sure the Detroit 8V92 on my bus could run
off straight veggie oil. But I'd have to mount a veggie oil tank
somewhere and do a conversion and then go find the oil... I've thought
about it.

> I'm not against drilling in ANWR, but I do think it's a very small
> band-aid on a very big problem.

Oh, I agree with you there. We still need the band-aid. When you get
hurt and need stitches, do you leave the wound gaping open? No - you
apply a band-aid because even though it won't fix the problem, it's at
least an improvement over what you had. So long as we as a country
understand that's all this is, just a band-aid and that we need a
better long term solution...

-Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional