RE: [DMCForum] Re: the EV1...

Here is a little study *I* did some time ago.  This was just me, in a few
minutes, with a few quick searches on the internet and a calculator.  A
scientific calculator no less.  Anyone please feel free to check this and
tell me if I am wrong.  Be prepared to back your findings up with provable
facts.

This was a friend looking at buying another Prius in addition to one they
already had.  The numbers for Prius mileage and cost of battery replacement
have changed a little since the car has been on the road with real world
numbers.  The sticker price for the Prius, locally, is still the same.

Greg

I also checked www.KBB.com <http://www.kbb.com/>  about the Toyota Prius
value.  The oldest version, 2001, at 100,000 miles in perfect condition
sells for $10,000 in a private sale.  If you bought one that old you know
you are reaching the end of the battery life and will have to soon
thereafter spend $3,500 to $5,000 to replace the batteries.  That car will
still be worth $10,000 after you just spent up to $5,000 for new batteries.
When the value of the Prius drops to or below the cost of the battery, even
if the car is still in perfect condition and useable, it makes no sense to
put more money in it that it is worth.  At that point people will just go
out and spend their money on a car that is more equivalent to the value of
the car.   That means the Prius, while still able to function, is worthless
and at the end of its useable life.  Then it has to be recycled, if the
person is diligent enough to take it somewhere to have it done properly.
Since most people trade their car in to dealerships, the dealership will
dispose of the car in whatever means it finds to be the least expensive.
That means it will probably end up in a wrecking yard.

A 2006 Prius at private party sale would be $21,755.  A new Prius is $22,795
before the mark up due to demand, but this mark up is diminishing as supply
increases.  You can approach $30,000 for a new one with options.

A 2005 (2006 data not available yet) Cavalier at private party sale would be
$10,505. A new Cavalier is no longer available, but the Cobalt essentially
replaced it.  That car ranges from $13,740 to $18,850.

If you bought the most expensive Cobalt at $18,850 and the least expensive
Prius at $21,755, with the Cobalt you would have an extra $2,905 immediately
which would cover all your gas and operating costs for close to two years.

  _____