Re: [DMCForum] ANOTHER REALLY STUPID SCAM

Re: [DMCForum] ANOTHER REALLY STUPID SCAM

Hi Ryan,

Not to get picky, but you are absolutily right:  you
can list an auction and you can make a list of
Preapproved Bidders, but they cannot be Preapproved
until your auction is listed and running.  That's what
the Ebay site says and I tried it.  Ebay wants their
listing fees first, then, they really don't give a
SHIT!!!!!  You can Preapprove "nobody" (what the
scammers are doing) and the EBAY system will accept
it.

However, and I quote the Ebay web site, in January,
2007, they are going to limit the Preapproved
Category.  How, I don't quite understand and even
after going through 7-8 windows, I still can't figure
it out.

What I am trying to say, if you see a listing for a
Delorean (or anything on Ebay) that requires
Preapproval from the seller, BE VERY, VERY, VERY WARY.
Ebay wants to come across as a true auction site, but,
both you and I know that $$$$$ in their pocket is the
bottom line.  That's why they bought out PayPal, so
they could bring in more bucks.  Business is business
and profit margin is the bottom line.

Mike   TPS    1630

PS:  How's the fascia removal coming????

--- Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> On 12/17/06, mike clemens <rmclemns@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> >  I fully understand about privacy and private
> feedback,
> >  but, (and please correct me if I am wrong), there
> is
> >  no such thing as "applying to be a preapproved
> >  bidder".  That's what all these scammers are
> pulling.
> >  It is a dead give away when the seller states in
> the
> >  title that you must contact them to be able to
> bid.
> >  There is "NO" such thing on Ebay, you register,
> you
> >  bid, and you win or not.
>
> You're wrong. :)
>
> This is primarily what I was ranting about. eBay
> allows sellers to
> list publicly viewable auctions where only buyers
> pre-approved by the
> seller can bid. This is the kind of "feature" that
> prevents people
> like me from bidding up a scam auction. I was going
> to "Buy It Now" on
> my own car but eBay's system wouldn't let me; the
> scammer had used
> this "feature" of eBay.
>
> So if I wanted to prevent people from buying the
> car, I'd have to
> contact the seller and ask permission to be placed
> on his pre-approved
> bidders list before eBay's system would let me bid.
>
> To me, such a "feature" just screams "scammers, come
> one, come all".
> While I'm sure there are legitimate uses for it, I
> doubt they outweigh
> it's use by thieves.
>
> -Ryan

<*> Your email settings: