Re: [DMCForum] ANOTHER REALLY STUPID SCAM

Re: [DMCForum] ANOTHER REALLY STUPID SCAM

Mike,

On 12/17/06, mike clemens <rmclemns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I fully understand about privacy and private feedback,
>  but, (and please correct me if I am wrong), there is
>  no such thing as "applying to be a preapproved
>  bidder".  That's what all these scammers are pulling.
>  It is a dead give away when the seller states in the
>  title that you must contact them to be able to bid.
>  There is "NO" such thing on Ebay, you register, you
>  bid, and you win or not.

You're wrong. :)

This is primarily what I was ranting about. eBay allows sellers to
list publicly viewable auctions where only buyers pre-approved by the
seller can bid. This is the kind of "feature" that prevents people
like me from bidding up a scam auction. I was going to "Buy It Now" on
my own car but eBay's system wouldn't let me; the scammer had used
this "feature" of eBay.

So if I wanted to prevent people from buying the car, I'd have to
contact the seller and ask permission to be placed on his pre-approved
bidders list before eBay's system would let me bid.

To me, such a "feature" just screams "scammers, come one, come all".
While I'm sure there are legitimate uses for it, I doubt they outweigh
it's use by thieves.

-Ryan