Re: [DMCForum] Number of DMC Forums.

On 7/12/06, Dave Stragand <dave.stragand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  It's just a proof-of-concept type of thing.  It is going to be essential
>  that you have it up and running with all of the features you envision
>  before anyone is going to seriously consider a transition.

I suppose I don't see this as something that needs to be done because
it's such a simple task. You say "all" of the features, but as far as
technology goes, we're only talking about a web based forum with broad
email subscription options. That's only one feature beyond what any
other web based forum already has.

>  I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying, I am being realistic.  You
>  absolutely MUST prove to the folks out there that it can be done, and
>  that it can be done as well as you say, before anyone is going to make a
>  commitment.

What is there to prove? Tamir has a web based forum. DMCH has a web
based forum. Everyone knows what a web based forum looks like and how
it all works; what more is there to show, beyond the email-list like
options?

You seem fixated on the technology, and I think that's where you and I
have a disconnect in this discussion. I'm not trying to sell this idea
based on the technology. The technology is immaterial. Beyond a few
tech nerds like myself, nobody cares. I don't have any outstanding new
features to sell; it's nothing everybody hasn't seen before.

Rather, the idea is firmly a political change. It's the opportunity to
create a global DeLorean discussion presence on the Internet with a
pleasant, inviting atmosphere. It can't be done by one man. I can't
demonstrate such a place on my own. I can build the technical
framework, but - big deal. So can any other computer geek.

No; we need to setup a political framework, backed by people with
influence, in order to move forward and make a change for the better.
It's attitudes and influences that need to be shaped, to be brought
together, for the greater good. Only then could such an idea hope to
succeed. Demonstrating a web forum everybody has seen before is
immaterial to this cause; the technology is merely a tool.

Look, I know this sounds like the voice of a rambling, idealistic
fool. Perhaps that's exactly what it is. Regardless, I enjoy
discussing it, and if the opportunity ever arises I will attempt to
pull it together.

-Ryan