Re: [DMCForum] Confiscating Cars?

On 6/19/06, timnagin <timnagin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  In short, and from memory only, Barris et al went up against this guy and
>  won custody of the car.

See, their actual getting ahold of the car is completely believable.
I'm just arguing the circumstances in which they obtained it. A judge
doesn't have the power to confiscate your vehicle except for
circumstances surrounding criminal behavior / police actions, or in
bankruptcies. I can certainly buy into the guy agreeing to turn the
car over as part of a settlement, etc, but then the car wasn't
confiscated, it was surrendered.

>  I also read about several original destroyed General Lee's being sold to a
>  group of people.  They had to sign agreements to never profit from the
>  vehicle's showing.

That doesn't surprise me. It's an original car sold by a studio and
the studio holds the intellectual property rights. They can certainly
say, "We'll only sell you this car if you sign this contract", and if
you break the terms of the contract they can sue you on that basis.

> I would bet the studios could very easily put a halt to the BTTF cars.
>
>  There is a huge difference in making the parts and the replicars for
>  personal use and making them for profit.

Agreed, however: "Put a halt to the BTTF cars" and "confiscate them"
are two completely different outcomes. They could probably sue people
to stop the parts trade (well, damage it, anyway. It's impossible for
them to really stop it. People will just go underground.), but they
can't confiscate people's cars.

-Ryan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/HliolB/TM